Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Lesson #4


GV Daily Lesson Plan

Student Name: Ashley Cupp                                 Course Title; Semester: Spring 2013                 

 

Title of Lesson: Reading #4                            Total Lesson Time: About 30 Minutes           

Grade(s): 3rd This lesson is free-standing lesson 4 of 5 Subject Area: Reading/Phonics       

 

Learning Goals:

Today the student will learn to read and spell words that include five different vowel teams that make a long vowel sound.
 
 

 

Curriculum Standard(s):

 English Language Arts Standards » Reading: Foundational Skills » Grade 2
Phonics and Word Recognition
 •RF.2.3. Know and apply grade-level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding words. ◦Know spelling-sound correspondences for additional common vowel teams.
 

 

Learning Objectives and How Assessed:

Learning Objective(s)
Assessment Plan
Student will be able to:
1. Identify the sounds of each of the following vowel teams: ai, oa, oo, ee, and ea.  The student should identify 80% of the words including these vowel teams correctly.
 
2. Spell 8 out of 10 given words that include vowel teams correctly.
 
 
1. This will be assessed during the word sort.  I will observe the student’s sorting process and listen as he reads each of the cards.
 
 
2. At the end of the lesson I will ask the student to write 10 of the words we worked with today.  I will explain that I want him to spell them correctly.
 

 

Materials Needed:

Bingo Cards
Calling Cards
 

 

Lesson Procedures:
Time
Differentiation (Adaptations for Diverse Learners, ELL, Gifted)
Anticipatory Set/Activating Prior Knowledge:
To begin the lesson I will ask the student to read through all the words on his bingo card.  If there are any words that he doesn’t know, I will ask him what he thinks they mean.  If he doesn’t have any idea I will help clarify them.
Introduction:
Once the student knows all the words, I will tell him that we are going to be working with words that have vowel teams in them.  I will explain that this means that there are two vowels right next to each other in the word.  I will then tell him that we are going to start by playing a game of bingo.
Teaching Procedures/Direct Instruction:
-I will tell the student that I want him to be the caller.  (I will also have a bingo card, so we will both be playing the game.)
-The student will draw from the pile of calling cards and read the card aloud.  I will ask him to read the word aloud again if he has it on his card.
-Each time the student draws a card with a different digraph, I will ask him whether the vowel team makes a short or long vowel sound.  If he is incorrect, we will discuss the correct answer.
-We will continue to play bingo in this manner until one of us gets a bingo.
-After we have finished the game, I will ask the student to read through all of the calling cards aloud.
Guided Practice:
-At this point, I will have the student sort the calling cards based on the sound the vowel teams make.
-I will ask him to read the words aloud as he does his sort.
-After he has sorted all the words, I will ask him why he organized the words the way he did.
-If there are any words in the wrong spot, I will use prompts such as: does that sound match the rest of the words, or does that make sense?
Independent Practice:
-After the student is finished with the sort, I will choose ten of the words from the calling cards.  The words I choose will be based on what I think he needs more practice one.
-I will then ask the student to spell each of the ten words.
Closure:
To end the lesson, I will ask the student to check his words by looking at the calling cards and make the necessary corrections.
 
2 Min
 
 
 
 
 
1 Min
 
 
 
 
 
 
5 Min
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
8 Min
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
10 Min
 
 
 
 
 
2 Min
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Not Applicable

 

References:

www.bogglesworldesl.com

 

Reflection on Student Learning:

 This lesson with the student started out very well.  I think he was just excited to be able to play a game and do something fun.  However, once I asked him to read the words on the calling cards and sort them, things started going downhill.  He was very unwilling to do much, so instead of asking him to sort all the words, I picked about fifteen of the words for him to sort.  He still wasn't happy about it, but he did it.  We didn't get to practice the spelling of the words because I thought it was best not to push him any further; he had already reached his limit.

The student didn't do very well with reading the words when he was asked to do so.  In order for him to read the words correctly, I had to give him a lot of prompts such as: what sound do those to letters make together, does that make sense, etc.  I think part of the reason he got so upset is because he knows this is something that he struggles with and he felt very anxious.  After talking to one of the teachers who works with him, I learned that he has pretty much learned to read this year as a third grader.  This really helped me to better understand where the student was coming from.  While the concept of vowel teams isn't completely new to him, it is something he hasn't had much practice with so he felt very uncomfortable.  He was very unsure of himself.

I learned a lot through teaching this lesson.  It is so important to learn everything you can about your students so you can have a better understanding of why they do some of the things they do.  For instance, if I had known that the student didn't really learn to read until third grade, I would have simplified the lesson a little bit.  I would have used fewer words to begin with for the word sort instead of using so many, which caused a minor meltdown.  Things that we as teachers think are simple can be very overwhelming to kids, so it's important for us to think about that as we plan our lessons.

Below is the student's bingo card:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment